Thursday, September 11, 2008

Seven Days and Counting...

Great news -- our house in Peoria has officially sold! No one is happier than me. Showing a house with a toddler and a dog is a lot of work, as anyone who has shown a house and/or has a toddler knows. I'm not proud -- I ran dirty dishes out to the garage more than once, hid dirty underwear in my writing stationery drawer and ordered in dinners just to keep the kitchen clean. It's a bit like you don't live in your own home: wiping down the microwave after every use, taking down photos of family and friends, and hiding all of Madeline's toys in the basement (then carrying the same five to and from their hiding spot in a Chili's takeout bag several times a day).

Just as soon as I would have one room perfectly neat and had started on the next, Madeline would have emptied the media cabinet, mashed her raisins into the couch, and dumped Maple's dog food all over the kitchen. All that in about 65 seconds. The time it takes me to perfectly fold my kitchen towels so they don't look like I just finished wiping up our spaghetti lunch. Of course once the house is neat and my bag is packed, I had to find somewhere to go with a baby and a dog. Thankfully, my family is wonderful and lives in town, so Madeline took several naps in her Pack 'n Play at her Ning and Papa's house. Those turned out to be really fun visits! And certainly special time as we get closer to our moving date next week.

Yesterday, we went to Apple Blossom Farm with my friend, Kris, and her two adorable daughters, Ella and Claire. We had a great time jumping in the Bouncy House, admiring the rabbits, ducks and goats, and eating fresh apple cinnamon donuts. The highlight for me was listening to Madeline proudly shout "Goat" at the petting zoo (she thinks they say "moo" if you ask her).

This weekend, Rob was usher in our friend Jake and Natalie's wedding in downtown Chicago. Every last detail was exquisite, planned with their guests' in mind; the bride looked breathtaking in her Vera Wang gown. I was even invited to ride around with the bridal party in the trolley! The ceremony was at St. Clement's Cathedral in Lincoln Park, and the reception was at Cafe Brauer in Lincoln Park Zoo. It was a really fun weekend away for Rob and me -- we got to spend time with some of our very best friends and relax while Rob's parents, Gram and Nicki took extra special care of Madeline.

When we got home, we heard all about their adventures and promptly had a fashion show with all of Madeline's new fall clothes! It was hard to leave knowing that next time we see them, we'll live in Nashville. While we won't be able to make any more day trips, we kept reminding ourselves as we said goodbye that we're just a bit further down the road.

And lastly, just wanted to remember all the 9/11 victims and their families.

No comments: