Wednesday, January 28, 2009

A Blue Waffle Kind of Weekend

On Saturday, Madeline and I made blue waffles for Rob. Why? Why not! The real question is what color they might be next Saturday.

Kids are hilarious. Funnier than 30 Rock and The Office combined. This morning, after Madeline finished slurping the milk from her cereal bowl, she gently set it down, looked at me sweetly and said, "Cannonball." I just about spit out my own mouthful of cereal. Something I'm sure her daddy taught her. Here are a few other things that make me laugh on a daily basis:
  • Madeline setting a book in front of Maple and waiting for the dog to read it to her
  • Hearing Rob sing to Madeline during their nightly bathtime routine. Rubber ducky, you're the one? Nope. More like "I'm gonna wash your body..." by Justin Timberlake or "Wash my Body" to Mariah Carey
  • Hearing Madeline call a giant hand-me-down plastic doll from our neighbors, "Cute!" as she rocks it and loves it like a cherished family heirloom. This thing looks like an alien with wide set eyes and a disconnected head that dangles horror-film style. For some reason, it looks like it actually has breasts and it used to be one of those dolls that sits on a potty....so it has anatomical holes. Amy, if you're reading this, please don't take offense. Madeline loves it, but it freaks us out. Rob hid it in the garage once, but Madeline asked for it for an hour, so she and I turned the house over looking for it while he was at work. Madeline calls it Big Baby (not to be confused with Little Baby, which thankfully, isn't frightening to look at)
  • All the special guests who join us for activities. Madeline carefully seats Big Baby at the dining room table every day for lunch. A bit earlier today, Little Baby, Big Baby, Snowman, Baby Elmo, Dolly, Teddy and Hippo all sat on my lap to read a book. Madeline took this very seriously.
  • Madeline's first official floater in the bathtub last week. Rob walked in the door minutes after I pulled Madeline out of the tub. Laughing, I said to Rob, "Madeline has a little surprise for you -- go check the tub." We listened to Madeline tell her daddy to "Check the tub" all night.
Madeline loves the homemade Playdoh I made for her last week. Unfortunately, Maple did too. She thought it was some kind of sinful dog treat and inhaled the lump of salty dough in a single swallow -- sort of like a pelican taking down a fish. (And by salty, I mean it's like pouring a container of Morton's down your throat). For the remainder of the day, I alternated refilling her water bowl every hour and letting her outside every 20 minutes. Things stay interesting around here...

2 comments:

Chelsea said...

Better the dog scarf the playdoh than Madeline.

I can't believe you've made it this long before getting a "floater". We had our first one at about 8 months. :o) Kids!

Johanna said...

Love these stories!! What fun!