Thursday, September 23, 2010

The Paci Fairy

The Paci Fairy has been circling our house for about a year. We've been laying the groundwork with Madeline to help her give up her pacifier, but we've procrastinated knowing there's a chance no one in our house will sleep very well for awhile after it's gone. This week, I caught sight of Charlie playing with Madeline's pacifier before bed, and we couldn't find it in time for lights out. Rob was at a work dinner. Decision time for Mommy. I took a deep breath.....

The Paci Fairy left Madeline a note!
Madeline was adorable as we weaved a story about the Paci Fairy: She comes in the middle of the night, trading Madeline's pacifier for a special gift, and leaves behind a magical trail of glitter and jelly beans. Then she flies straight to the hospital and gives Madeline's pacifier to a baby who needs it. As we finished reading Curious George and story time came to a close, Madeline proudly exclaimed, "I don't need my paci!" But then a few minutes later, she would quietly and sadly say, "Mommy, I really want my paci."

After she bravely fell asleep without a peep or protest, I..uh-um, I mean the Paci Fairy...zipped out to Target minutes before they closed to pick up the essentials: sparkly pompons, sequins, a trade-in gift and lots of candy. I grabbed some reinforcements for the days to follow. Rob and I had church giggles sneaking into her room that night, hiding a wrapped baby doll under her bed and spreading the candies and sparkles all around. We left a special note to Madeline from the Paci Fairy herself.

At 5:45 the next morning, Madeline burst through our door, shrieking with excitement that the Fairy actually came. It has only been two days, and unfortunately, Madeline caught a flu bug, which hasn't helped with the transition. But she's a little trooper and taking it in stride. Maybe in the long run, we'll save ourselves the expense of braces?

Nah, probably not...

3 comments:

The Brown Family said...

The paci fairy is so magical! I love that she left a trail. How fun. Good luck with the transition! And we hope Madeline feels better soon, what a trooper!

Joanna said...

Yeah for the paci-fairy!!! Too bad a Thumb-fairy would really freak our Lauren out...working on it though!

Chelsea said...

As I read this, I was actually thinking "no way, she sprinkled GLITTER on the carpet!? It's great for effect but we all know who is going to clean that mess up later!!" What a fun mom you are for not caring about the mess and making it extra special for her!