Thursday, April 23, 2015

An Epic Date at Lea Linster



Last night Rob and I went on an epic date to Lea Linster, a Michelin Star-rated restaurant in Lux. It was as much a "European experience" as exploring a new city. Four-and-a-half hours of beautiful food, wine and service; an all-white dining room overlooking acres of green rolling meadows. (I love that the Michelin guide advised "dogs are not allowed" and that some wine selections cost more than our first cars). Then Lea came to our table at 11:15pm and charmed our socks off (what a flirt!). Rob's parents are AMAZING for holding down the fort back at home!!

The meal itself was absolutely beautiful. I had my translator under the table; sometimes, we didn't even know what we were eating....only that it was divine. It started with an amuse-bouche, then moved on to carrot soup, sole, lobster, lamb, creme brûlée, Lea's signature madeleines, petit fours (bite-size passion fruit tarts, tropical square marshmallows, nougat and almond biscuit). We thought the meal was over, and couldn't imagine it being any more perfect. Then our server came out with a pistachio macaron (my absolutely favorite!) with fromage blanc that almost made me cry. The sommelier, a cool young guy, came over with a lovely dessert wine and told us it was his gift. Lea asked her staff to package up some madeleines "with love" (I promise, that's what she said!) and they walked us to the door. I felt like I was leaving family -- for a moment, I considering hugging and Euro-air-kissing.


Luxembourg is a foodie-city. With 13 Michelin-starred restaurants, it has the most stars per capita of any city in the world. And Lea Linster is a celebrity chef over here in Europe -- she has a giant media presence in Germany. What an amazing experience!

We watched the sun set from our table
The sommelier helped us choose a nice red from the Loire Valley

No comments: