Sunday, November 2, 2014

Tomorrow's the Day!

Tomorrow's the day we finally get to meet our sweet baby girl. The one who will make us a family of six. Who will make John a big brother and give my Madeline the gift of sisterhood. I can already hear Charlie protecting her; helping her on the playground and telling her when to cover her eyes in a dinosaur documentary.

I can't wait to hold her in my arms -- to see her face, hear her voice, touch her hands, feel her skin, smell her breath. To see friendships grow between my children. What will she love? What will she be like? We've been waiting 300 days, and tomorrow's the beginning of a new chapter. I'm giddy with excitement; filled with nervous anticipation of the big day ahead and eager optimism as I look to our future family life.

Today, Madeline, Charlie and John have been "giving birth" to police cars, Legos and toy cash registers. They've been waiting a significant portion of their young lives, respectively, to meet this little girl! And it's finally time. Madeline made her a mobile out of a wire hanger and buttons, and Charlie kisses my belly nonstop. John and I have been reading all those "Big Brother" books to get ready.

I love being a mom. It's an understatement to say it's the hardest work I've ever done. But it's worth every rewarding, bone-grinding, exhilarating, exhausting, love-drunk, nerve-shattering effort. To know that when my kids need my best is sometimes when they're at their worst. That it's not always glamorous, but that the tiniest moments can be filled with incredible grace because it is such a gift to be given the blessing and privilege of caring for them.

I adore my husband for his wholehearted willingness to go on this giant adventure with me. This is my Machu Picchu. It's sky-diving, hang-gliding and bungee-jumping combined. It's an African safari and an Ironman; it's summiting Mt. Everest. It's everything I've ever wanted.

3 comments:

The Brown Family said...

Meg, I just read through all of your posts from the past 3 months or so - can't believe I got so far behind! But it's so FUN to catch up! And I am reading at the right time, since as you say, the next chapter starts right about now. :) Thinking of you as you welcome your sweet baby girl! Sending love and hugs across the ocean straight to you!

Ali said...

Beautifully written, Meg. I am so excited for all of you and know that your precious baby girl will be loved so very much! Enjoy every minute, time flies! xo

Unknown said...

Well said as usual and I know you mean every word of it. We have experienced it together and seen each other's in's and outs and I feel privileged to have shared that with you during your time near us in MKE ! muah ! Em