Monday, January 28, 2008

Baby Proofing with Style...

Before I had Madeline, and even now, I sometimes think to myself, "I will never do that" (whatever "that" may be in the specific situation). For example, I have sworn to myself that I will always dress for the day like I'm meeting a friend for lunch. What a slippery slope that could be. How easy, when Madeline and I don't have any appointments, to pretend like every day is Saturday morning. I make a conscious effort not to let my high heels get dusty - I wear them to Target, to meet Rob for lunch and to go to church (but not to the grocery store. Come on, we have to draw the line somewhere). As a mom, I think it's more important than ever to feel fabulous, even if it's for no one other than ourselves. I swear on the Holy Bible, I will never wear Mom Jeans. (Side note: I just read a great interview with Laura Bennett, the super stylish mom with six kids from last year's Project Runway -- enjoy if you have a few minutes.)

So I read about bumpers you can put on coffee tables and thought, Who does that? Who seriously puts a navy blue elasticized ring of foam around their furniture and lives with it day in and day out? To me, that's the equivalent of staying in your PJs until 1 p.m. Why not put plastic runners over the carpet and couch? Then Madeline started crawling and cracking her head on our hardwood coffee table twice a day. That's about 15 times a week -- red welts, crying and mommy guilt. ("Why wasn't I watching more carefully?")

Don't worry -- I didn't buy a bumper. But I do think I've found a stylish alternative that doesn't reveal my ulterior motive. We bought one of those giant leather stuffed ottoman that you can put a tray on and call a coffee table. It's basically a pillow on legs. If any moms are reading this and in the market, Target has great looking, reasonably-priced ones with free shipping. The baby-proofing continues. Now I'm trying to figure out how to keep the dog food out of Madeline's mouth without actually starving Maple...

No comments: